Saturday, May 26, 2012

June is the month for brides... and so much more

With May winding down, you're beginning to think about how you will celebrate each and every day in June.

I'll have a suggestion or two, of course, on how to celebrate each and every day -- that's what we're here for -- but, just in case you're taking the long view -- looking for some information about the entire month -- read on.

June is Potty Training Awareness Month. Good luck with that.

Our crack research staff found some support for the idea that June is National Pest Control Month -- but opinion is not unanimous on this; there is also some suggestion online that April is National Pest Management Month. The Blog of Days can not take sides in this conflict -- but we can report, with confidence, that June really is Fight The Filthy Fly Month. We can even tell you that June earns this distinction because it contains the feast day of St. Leufredus (on June 21), an 8th Century French monk, who is the saint to whom to pray when tormented by flies. According to Saints Preserve Us!: Everything You Need to Know About Every Saint You'll Ever Need, by Sean Kelly and Rosemary Rogers, when pesky flies bothered the good man during his prayers, Leufredus "banished those insects forever from his house."

June is also National Migraine Awareness Month. I thought that anybody with a migraine couldn't help but notice, in June or any other month. I hope this is wrong, but maybe in June migraines hurt more?


The National Safety Council declares June to be National Safety Month, "an annual observance to educate and influence behaviors around the leading causes of preventable injuries and deaths." Preventable deaths are often tragic, but deaths can't be wholly prevented -- not indefinitely.

If you like turkey, June is for you: It's Turkey Lovers Month. And if you'd like an ice tea with that turkey sandwich, June is the month for you: It's also National Iced Tea Month.


(That apparently explains why The Tea Association of the USA is plugging the World Tea Expo in Las Vegas on June 4 and 5.)

You can find all sorts of strange month-long observances in June with a quick web search. I'll just leave you with two more.

June is World Naked Bike Ride Month -- but only in the Northern Hemisphere. In the Southern Hemisphere, your local Naked Bike Ride will take place in March -- and for the same reason. If it's cold, who wants to peddle naked? Many American cities, including Chicago, will have their rides on Saturday June 9.

You may think that's pretty silly -- but I think I can top it: June is also National Goat Trauma Awareness Month.

Now I realize that you're probably inclined to believe everything you see on the Internet -- after all, everything here is true, right? -- but testimonials like this one on the National Goat Trauma Foundation website make me just a teensy bit suspicious:
"I thought that the goats were out to get me. People called me paranoid, but since attending one of the CGTF's workshops, I know I'm right. Goats ARE out to get me! And now I can protect myself!"
I might even go so far as to say (please forgive me) BAH humbug!

Whatever you choose to celebrate, get ready: In a few days, June will be bustin' out all over.

No comments: